Throughout my many years of eating a paleo diet, followed by many years of a cyclical ketogenic diet, I haven’t really experienced dessert cravings, other than during pumpkin season.
I don’t know what it is about pumpkin desserts that are so special for me but I love them more than any other desserts. Is it the spices, the comfort, the fact that it’s getting cold outside? I guess we’ll never know. What I do know is how to make a killer Paleo-Friendly Pumpkin Cake! 😉
- 2 cups of nuts (I used half almonds half walnuts)
- 1.5 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup of virgin coconut oil
- 4 tbsp of @lakantosweetener
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice mix (make sure there is no added sugar)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Place all ingredients in the food processor with the S blade and pulse until somewhat of a smooth consistency is obtained.
- Gather all the crust mixture and press into the bottom of a 12 inch springform as evenly as possible.
- Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes while you make the filling.
- 4 cups of pumpkin purée (I simply roasted a local organic pumpkin and puréed it, but use canned if needed, just make sure not to use the puréed pumpkin pie mix which already has sweetener and spices)
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup of cashews (soak in hot water for 15 mins to make them softer)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of lakanto sweetener (use erythritol if you can’t find lakanto)
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice mix
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- After your cashews have soaked, discard soaking water and place in the food processor with melted coconut oil. Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Adjust sweetness and spice to taste. Poor mixture into the springform, and shake the pan from side to side to even up the mixture.
- Place in the freezer for at least 3 hours. *This cake is at it’s best when slightly warm. But be cautious, it melts quickly. Only a minute in the oven might be enough. Alternatively, you can simply transfer the cake to the fridge after it has had time to set in the freezer, and serve from fridge temperature.
- Serve with coconut whipping cream and freshly grated nutmeg 🥧🍁.