This is my Paleo & Keto friendly attempt at recreating a dish my mother used to make (which I loved) when I was a kid.
If you are skeptical about coconut milk in there tasting like coconut, I assure you, the coconut flavor doesn’t come through AT ALL.
It’s creamy, salty, meaty, and of course mushroomy, and hits all of my comfort-food requirements. I’ve served this with bacon sauteed kale and it was fantastic.
- 1 lb of beef stirfry meat or slices of steak
- 1 cup of sliced white or brown mushrooms
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp of ghee or avocado oil
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup of beef broth (homemade is best)
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup of coconut cream
- 2 tbsp of gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 tsp of prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of arrowroot starch
- Fresh parsley and/or chives for garnish
- Start by placing the meat into a bowl and season well with salt and pepper, then coat with 2 tsp of arrowroot starch.
- Heat ghee or avocado oil in a large pan and add the meat. Sear on all sides for a couple of minutes until lightly brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, saute the diced onion and minced garlic until translucent. Add more ghee or oil if needed.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook for a few minutes until soft, then add the remaining 1 tsp of arrowroot starch and stir.
- Pour in the broth, coconut cream, tamari, vinegar, mustard and sea salt and stir to combine.
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Add meat back to the pan and mix everything together. Simmer for another few minutes and taste.
- Adjust seasonings to your liking and serve.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy with your favorite side dish!