Every once in a while, a new sauce walks into your life and changes everything. I went through this with Pesto, Cashew Cream, and my Lemon-Tahini dressing. Well, a few days ago, I found a new love; Romesco 😍. Also referred to as “Magic Sauce” by the Spaniards, this sauce is no joke. So rich, so creamy, yet not a drop of dairy. Only toasted almonds, roasted peppers, fresh parsley, garlic, wine vinegar, sea salt, and olive oil. All the flavour, none of the crap.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- one small handful of fresh italian parsley
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- a inch of cayenne and/or black pepper
- Cut the peppers in half and take the seeds out, place them shiny side up on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and place in oven at 450 for about 15. Allow to cool down.
- Dry roast almonds using a pan, on medium to low heat, until they start getting fragrant, being cautious not to burn them
- Place roasted red peppers and toasted almonds along with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor and blend till smooth.
- Enjoy with seafood, eggs, or even chicken! Or simply eat it by the spoonful, that works too. Dish shown in picture is Icelandic Cod pan fried in ghee, with asparagus and a pea shoot + tomato + coconut salad.